Professor Fields-Black teaches the following courses at Carnegie Mellon University:
- "African Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship in Africa"
- "Freshmen Seminar: 'Slavery' and 'Freedom' in African History?"
- "From the Local to the Global: Africa in the World 1100-1800"
- "Historical Memory and Historical Sources"
- "Introduction to African History: Earliest Times to the Origins of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade"
- "Introduction to African History: The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade to the Neo-Colonial Period"
- "The Making in the African Diaspora in the New World"
- "States and Non-States in West African History 1100-1880"